10/01/2018Special economic zones have played a critical part in South Korea’s rapid industrial development over the past few decades, and have contributed to significant economic and social benefits to the country. However, this rapid development has also resulted in severe environmental degradation and consequential challenges to public well-being
10/01/2018At present, in Việt Nam, landfilling is the most common solid waste treatment method. However, in many localities, landfills are facing a problem of overloading due to increasing amount of solid waste generated while these landfills are unsanitary and needs upgrading.
10/01/2018In recent years, the transport sector has made significant contribution to socioeconomic development of the nation. However, it is also the third largest greenhouse gas (GHG) generators, following energy and agriculture, accounting for 18.38% of the total GHG. To mitigate GHG, the transport sector has been gearing toward environmentally friendly and sustainable approaches.
10/01/2018History was made in March this year when the high court of Uttarakhand in northern India recognized the rivers Ganges and Yamuna as a living entity “with all corresponding rights, duties and liabilities of a living person”.
10/01/2018Twenty-eight chemicals that cause health problems including cancer and reproductive disorders and sometimes death are banned or restricted under the Stockholm Convention, one of the most critical international agreements administered by UN Environment.
10/01/2018As the mercury falls in Geneva with the advent of autumnal chills, the world is for the first time gathering to deal with the rising health impacts of the toxic chemical.
10/01/2018I recently visited a commune in the rural area of the northern delta region. Compared with the previous trip, this time, I saw that the roads had been concretised, the facilities (the commune’s head office, school, clinical centre and meeting house) were upgraded and rebuilt and living conditions had improved for locals. As targeted for 2017, the commune was striving to achieve 19 criteria of the ...
10/01/2018Developed countries encourage the use of ash, slag and gypsum from thermal power plants which meet technical regulations and standards for construction materials, cement additives, bitumen, ground levelling and road construction. In Việt Nam, some studies on using thermal power plants’ ash, slag and gypsum for non fired bricks, cement additives, bitumen and transport works.
10/01/2018Along with industrialization and modernization of the country, medical environment management has made significant progress. However, the amount of medical waste generated from medical facilities is increasing that requires strengthened management. According to the World Health Organization, about 80% of the waste generated from medical facilities is normal waste and the remaining 20% is hazardous...
09/01/2018Việt Nam is recognized as one of the countries that have high biodiversity in the world, with many types of natural ecosystems, organisms, rich and endemic genetic resources.
09/01/2018The Law on Environmental Protection Tax was passed by the 12th National Assembly on November 15, 2010 at the 8th session, and has taken effect since 1/1/2012. After over 5 years of implementation, many contents of the Law on Environmental Protection Tax 2010 have shown many shortcomings. The amendment and supplementation of the Law on Environmental Protection Tax are necessary to meet the requirem...
09/01/2018Việt Nam is developing a multi component market economy toward industrialization and modernization. In this process, economic activities such as investment, industrial zone, export processing zone and industrial cluster development have been boosted. Enterprises under different economic sectors have been established.